Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Grape Compote
Rise and shine, pancakes are on the menu! Try this twist on the classic for a delicious weekend breakfast.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine the maple syrup, Welch’s Concord Grape Jelly and blueberries. Simmer for 20 minutes or until blueberries are thawed and sauce has thickened slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseed (if using), baking powder and salt. Let the batter rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250° F. To cook pancakes, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Ladle ¼ cup of batter per pancake into the skillet, cooking in batches. Cook pancakes until bubbles form on the surface and the bottom is golden, about 2 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until cooked through. Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate in the preheated oven to keep warm.
- Continue cooking pancakes in batches until batter is used up. If necessary, use remaining butter to grease the skillet after a couple of batches.
- To serve, divide the pancakes between plates and spoon Blueberry Grape Compote over the pancakes.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup Welch’s Concord Grape Jelly
- ⅔ cup Welch’s Frozen Blueberries